According to this Forbes.com article by SEO expert, Jayson DeMers, the six main types of blog posts that can help businesses communicate with customers or other stakeholders are:
- Newsy features
- Instructions (How-to do x)
- Personal Spotlight (tell a story about a human)
- The Cheat Sheet (demystify something complicated in as few words as possible)
- The Media Post (create infographics or other media that can be easily shared on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest)
- The Entertaining Post that serves, primarily to entertain, even if some nuggets of good information are buried somewhere in there.
Even though my students and I are not, primarily, concerned with connecting with businesses and making money with our blogs at this point in the writing process, I think this list still works for our purposes. Developing a variety of types of content for viewers provides a more engaging experience and challenges the writer to compose using various modes while keeping their audience’s interests and expectations in mind.